Living and Working in the Light
7 Ways to Create Your Vision with Clarity
“There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.”
– Leonard Cohen “Anthem”
When’s the last time you looked up? Sometimes we get lost in our day-to-day. We may forget to look up to notice the cracks that let the light in.
Do any of these thoughts sound familiar?
“I want to make a change in _______, but I am too busy.”
“Yes, I’m successful, but there has to be more.”
“I feel stuck – in my job. I feel stuck – in my life. I don’t know where to begin.”
Last year, as part of more than 140 hours of master coach training, I participated in a course called Blue Sky Visioning. The objective of the process is to design a very large vision of what one’s life could be. Each participant designed 5 to 6 “BHAG’s”, Big Hairy Audacious Goals, for their lives. Everyone’s goals were quite different, but I suspect that each participant’s goals somehow let the light in, in very significant ways.
According to my teachers, Ben Dean, PhD, and Anne Durand, MCC, a mantra for intentionally engaging in a visioning process is:
“You can do much more in 5 years than you think you can.”
Why create a vision and goals for yourself?
- Creating a vision for your life lets you open to growth, optimism, and possibilities! You may have never thought of some of these possibilities before or didn’t think they would be obtainable for you.
- When you have a vision and carry it with you, your decisions, choices, and behaviors have direction.
- You can accomplish much more than you think you can!
“So many of our dreams seem impossible,
then improbable, then inevitable.” – Christopher Reeve
7 ways to take action to create your vision, build on your strengths, and make things happen:
1. Let the light in!
Get in touch with what is deeply meaningful to you. What is your inner knowing telling you about who you are, what is most important, and who, what, and where you want to be? What resonates for you? What do you dream of doing, being? What are your strengths?
2. Create a vision.
Get some clarity on what you really want, not just what sounds good.
3. Create goals.
Set goals that are specific and challenging.
4. Hold your vision and goals in your awareness.
Write down your vision and goals. Post them where you’ll see them frequently. This helps maintain your focus and direction.
5. Engage the support of others to help you create your vision and get there.
Put together a team of one or more people working towards their own vision and support each other regularly.
6. Learn more about letting the light in, creating your vision with clarity, and building on your strengths.
Here are a few resources:
- Klauser, H.A. (2000). Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want and Getting It. Simon & Schuster, NY.
- Rath, T. (2007). Strengths Finder 2.0. Gallup Press, NY.
- Rubin G. (2009). The Happiness Project. HarperCollins, NY.
7. Consider partnering with a professional coach.
Working with a professional coach can help you in the process of creating your vision and maximizing your professional and/or personal potential.
Discovery Coaching Consultation
During this FREE telephone consultation, we become acquainted, explain what coaching is, and mutually establish if we would be a good fit as a coaching team. We discuss your objectives, your current life circumstances, and obstacles you’ve been facing as you strive to reach your most important life goals. Click here to contact Ilene.
In light and empowerment,
Please share this blog with anyone who might be interested in reading it!
We would love to hear from you! We are interested in your suggestions for this newsletter, your reactions to this one, or providing more information about coaching.